University of St. Thomas School of Law
- J.D. (magna cum laude)
- Honors: Dean’s List all six semesters, Dean's Awards for top grades in a half dozen courses including legal writing and complex litigation
- Note & Comment Editor, UST Law Journal
Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism
- B.S. Journalism and Asian and Middle East Studies (China Concentration)
In or out of the courtroom, Ben Kwan’s innate ability to share a compelling story has brought him success. Prior to law school, he put that talent to use as a television news anchor and reporter with CBS and FOX affiliates in Michigan and working with a South African national news network in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
As a Partner and Founder of Haller Kwan LLP, Ben primarily represents employees who have been treated illegally in the workplace. Clients and colleagues welcome his strong voice, patient listening skills, and creative legal mind. He’s a dynamic advocate for wrongfully terminated employees, those thrust into a whistleblower role, and those who have experienced discrimination and retaliation. Ben also represents employees facing various other legal dilemmas including exit counseling, severance negotiations, non-compete counseling, and other contractual negotiations and civil disputes.
Ben’s empathy for workers was nurtured from an early age. “My father is an immigrant from China. He arrived with the proverbial ‘nothing but the clothes on his back.’ To him, work was the only path to a better life and – quite frankly – dignity. To this day, my father serves as a role model for my advocacy. Work in restaurants was his path to dignity and meaning.”
Understanding the indignities caused by discrimination or losing a job, Ben works hard to put clients first, and at ease. To him, it’s personal. Spending extra time to ensure a client understands the legal process, making the additional phone call or sending the detailed email, are all part of Ben’s commitment to help his clients move forward with their lives.
A Magna Cum Laude graduate of the University of St. Thomas School of Law, Ben served as the Note & Comment Editor of the UST Law Journal. He currently serves as President on the Executive Board of the Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association. Ben maintains close ties to the Twin Cities media community socially and as a contributing columnist at Minnesota Lawyer. And, from time to time, you’ll still find Ben slinging chop suey at his family’s Chinese restaurant in Eden Prairie, Red Moon Chinese Cafe. Ben grew up in Bloomington, Minnesota, and is a proud graduate of Bloomington Kennedy High School.
- President, Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association ('16-'17)
- Vice President of Special Events, Minnesota Chapter, Federal Bar Association ('17-'18)
- Governing Council Member, Minnesota State Bar Association Labor & Employment Section ('17-'18)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Chapter, National Employment Lawyers Association